The Rule of Thirds

Day 2 with borrowed camera!

I am playing around with a Canon Rebel XSi 450D and a handful of different lenses. The main one that I used is the Canon 18mm-200mm IS lens and I also took a few with a Canon Macro Lens EFS 100mm 1:2.8 USM (the photo of the earring on my blog layout was taken with this lens, it's amazing what it can do, looking forward to more play time with this lens). I do have to confess that I don't know very much about what they all can do and I really don't know much about the settings on the camera and changing them either. So far I've been sticking to the Auto settings and reading a little here and there. I would like to really take the time and learn but with a baby on board you only have so much time during naps and I also have to fit in cleaning and cooking... no seriously!

I do hope to get my own camera and really learn the ins and outs of using it off the Auto setting, but I'm leery of messing with the owner's settings so Auto it is.
I am posting some of my favorite photos from today. I took so many but really only a few made the cut. I have come to really love making photos. I understand from my reading that a photographer makes photos rather than takes them... It's like your own creation and artistic spin. I love that!
Ahh... it's so much fun. How did I just now discover this?  I am very excited about all that I will be learning and how I will try to apply it.

Rule #1 The Rule of Thirds: .[1] The rule states that an image should be imagined as divided into nine equal parts by two equally-spaced horizontal lines and two equally-spaced vertical lines, and that important compositional elements should be placed along these lines or their intersections.[2] Proponents of the technique claim that aligning a subject with these points creates more tension, energy and interest in the composition than simply centering the subject would.

quote from http://www.digital-photography-school.com/rule-of-thirds
I will say right up front however that rules are meant to be broken and ignoring this one doesn’t mean your images are necessarily unbalanced or uninteresting. However a wise person once told me that if you intend to break a rule you should always learn it first to make sure your breaking of it is all the more effective!

I am trying to apply this rule in each of these photos: